Friday, October 21, 2011

Post 8: Ethical Question

Is it ethical for a physician to accept Wild tickets from a pharmaceutical rep to take her family to the game?


I believe this is ethical to accept the tickets if there is already a good relationship between the physician and the pharmaceutical rep.  Taking the tickets doesn't necessarily mean that the physician will go with the specific pharmaceutical company.  It all depends on the situation the tickets were given.  The tickets shouldn't be accepted if it is some sort of bribe.  If I had the opportunity, I would take up on the offer because I love free gifts and the Wild.  I would probably look more into the pharmaceutical company after receiving these tickets but not necessarily go with them if I didn't agree with their company.  I can see how this might be unethical because it wouldn't be fair for the other physicians and their families and also it would give that company an advantage over other companies.  This type of situation should be thoroughly analyzed before making a decision.  Even if you didn't accept the tickets though, there would still be that thought in the back of your head about the pharmaceutical company.  They already got their foot in the door by offering the tickets so why not just accept them.

No comments:

Post a Comment