Wednesday, December 14, 2011

Post 15: Entrepreneurship

The career plan that I have been looking at for awhile is being involved in research and development for a company I enjoy.  The thing that would make this more enjoyable is if I was able to work on projects that really interest me.  In the past I have worked on research projects that I both care a lot about and also ones that I didn't care a lot about.  I could tell that if I worked on a project that interests me, I put a lot more time into it and the end result was much better.

If I had to choose a path to go about my research and development career, I believe I would want to be an entrepreneur.  After learning the difference between a businessman and an entrepreneur it seems the quality of life for an entrepreneur would be much better.  I get the sense that I can work my own hours and have a lot less stress when working on a project.  It is also huge for me to have time to spend with family since I planned to have a pretty large family.  I want to be happy when I go to work because this makes for better productivity and an overall well being at the workplace.  It seems to me that a businessman would not be as excited to work as an entrepreneur would be.

One area that I would have to improve on to be an entrepreneur is the "risk taker" quality.  I have in the past been a more "safe" type of guy.  I know that taking risks can result in higher rewards but I've been that type of person that doesn't want to risk a lot.  Another area that I would have to work on is being the person that takes charge of the situation.  I have always been the guy who just contributes to other ideas because I tend to go unheard when I give my opinion.  I have became better at these two areas throughout the past couple years but I still got a ways to go in order to become a successful entrepreneur

I do not necessarily believe that entrepreneurship is just about starting a business.  I believe it is taking pre-existing ideas and innovating them.  This is why I think I'm more of an entrepreneur.  I love takeing ideas that I already know, and think about ways to make it better.  I think that starting a business would be a good way if they are starting it for the right reasons.  It shouldn't be solely to make money, but help improve lives of others for the good.  I much rather work on something that I strongly believe in instead of working to make a lot of money.

As the world changes, I believe entrepreneurs would be able to adapt quicker than businessman.  They seem to be more open minded and able to use their ideas to overcome any obstacles that arise.

Looking at which type of person would find "happiness" all depends on the individual's view of "happiness."  It seems that people tend to get caught up to much in the view that happiness = money.  After talking to several people, including my parents, I can tell that happiness isn't solely dependant on money.  You have to love what you do even if you don't make a ton of money.  For me, I don't look at success by how much money I earn, but rather if I enjoy what I do.  This is why I believe entreprenuers will achieve more because they seem to live a happier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment